December 3, 2007

We did it!

It is difficult to summarize our amazing weekend experience. Our drive to Tucson was fun and full of fun conversation. Our nervousness became more apparent as we went and picked up our information from the racing event. The evening was fun and we enjoyed our carbohydrate loaded dinner. We were all amazed by our lack of ability to sleep the night before, despite our exhaustion. Okay, enough with the play-by-play!

One thing that surprised me the most was how calm I felt as I dressed for the race that morning. I had difficulty sleeping that night and thought I would just be a wreck as the morning went on. Much to my surprise the bus ride to the race was quite calming. I had the privilege of sitting next to a fifty year old woman who had recently qualified for the Boston marathon. She talked with me about her family and racing experiences. She was very inspiring to talk to, and has me wondering if maybe someday I will want to try and qualify for a major race. Once we arrived at the start line I truly felt better and ready.

The race was amazing. It was a perfect race for an amateur and was an enjoyable course. I was surprised by how many people were out there running. People of all ages. We all were a little disappointed by the walkers/runners who sometimes lacked racing etiquette, but I am sure I frustrated people along the way as well. I want to thank everyone who was praying for our race. I can say that I truly felt your prayers and most importantly God giving me strength. Thank you to all of our friends and family who have supported and encouraged us along the way.

I also want to say a special thank you to my fellow two half-marathon friends. I will never forget our weekend and first half-marathon. You both are very special to me, and I feel like we now share a special bond. Thank you for your support and encouragement along the way. I hope we continue training, and who knows maybe we'll end up in El Paso in the spring.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's been such a joy getting to know you, Teri. You are a wonderful runner, wife, mom, nurse - person. I see the love you have for the Lord everytime I am around you and I clearly see Him in you. Thanks for being so inspiring and encouraging - looking forward to more running with you!

Anonymous said...

Teri- what a woman!! You motivate me in lots of ways- I think the biggie is your determination and will power. You set your mind to something and you accomplish it. I love having friends with God-given gifts that I don't have so much- I can learn and grow in those areas. Besides the fact that you are fun, kind and a NURSE! Your the woman- and I hope to see you run Boston someday too. C