August 18, 2007

I'm a "blogger" now?

First time blogger and first time half-marathoner. (Who came up with the term "blog" anyway? It's one of those words that I just don't like - it's like fingers on a chalkboard to me, but I am willing to put that aside to participate and hopefully the word won't annoy me eventually). That aside, I'm training and going to run this half-marathon because I want to push myself. I don't think my reasons are any different than most people who run, so I won't elaborate and bore you.

I started running in 2000 when my husband was deployed on a ship (he was a pilot in the Marine Corps at the time) and I was working full-time, no kids, and had a lot of time on my hands living alone (boring nights and weekends). I got up to a comfortable 10 min. mile pace and could run 5 miles. Then I started to push myself and got to about a 9.5 min. mile pace. I was thrilled with that because I never thought I could be a runner due to short legs and a pear shaped body. I started doing 5-k races and loved the atmosphere of race day. My husband returned and we started running together and loved it. Then I found out I was pregnant and needless to say that put my running aspirations on hold. I have since had my second child and running has been a steadfast friend helping to take the weight off after pregnancy and now that I have a little more time, I am at a place where I can get a little more serious and see what this pear shaped body can do!

I'll keep you posted on the training from here on out. This week, just a 2 mile easy run, as I have had a cold/bad sore throat which was lovingly passed from my adorable son, JW. Also, first week of school (Kindergarten mind you) for my sweet daughter, Maggie! Next week promises to be a better training week with more miles for sure!

1 comment:

in summary... said...

Kim- I am so proud of your first **%^ (my way of sensitivity toward the "b" word)!! Love it and can't wait to run with you. C