August 20, 2007

Mental Toughness

Today I ran 3 miles for the first time in at least a month and it was kinda hard! I finished the run, but not even half way through my mind starting thinking about quitting. I'm hearing it say, "well, you haven't run 3 miles in a little while, so just stop at 2.5 and then tomorrow you can do 3." That is so pathetic! Why is laziness built into the human race? So, to combat this I tell myself, "If you can't make it 3 miles today, how are you going to get to 13.1?" I resolve to push myself; which is why I am doing this in the first place. I'm usually pretty good at pushing myself, but also afraid of failure which in the past has stopped me from going outside of my comfort zone. I've been committed to running, but not completely and totally committed - I can always stop when the going gets tough. Not anymore, sister - it's time to keep on pushin'....
Oh and by the way, I felt great once the run was over and glad that I didn't quit. :)

No comments: