November 17, 2007

contagious


My dad is getting the running bug. Doesn't help that I pester him every chance I get. I am hoping he starts seriously running for a few of the following reasons:

1. His health. He is in his mid-fifties and is not physically active other than the occasional walk around the neighborhood. Being naturally thin with a musical-genius bent, exercise is something he is not prone towards. As his daughter, I desperately want him to have a strong heart, healthy body and longevity.

2. Another jogging partner. This one is purely selfish. I enjoy my dad's company. Out of all my family members, he is the one to join me in my impromptu adventures. I LOVE that about him and we have some great memories. From the few times we have jogged together, I already know its a perfect fit. Good pace and entertaining conversation. I love my dad and this would be just another way for us to spend time together.

3. Develop a hobby. Running, I am finding, is a club all its own. I love that. If I could choose a hobby for my dad, outside of his extremely busy life (he is a pastor, a husband, a grandpa, and a published musician), I think running which combines exercise and discipline would be perfect. It can also be a social sport and that is definitely him.

Today he took his first big step. He got fitted for running shoes and invested in them. When he spends money, it is not done lightly. My dad is on his way to being a runner.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Way to go you guys! It was so nice being there yesterday and meeting your dad, Candace. I'm so proud of him for taking the big step of buying the shoes! Remember, even though it may not SEEM like it, running is a very inexpensive hobby to participate in and the health benefits to boot! :)