September 4, 2007

Am I going to be able to do this?

This weekend I had the opportunity to see how far I have come in my half-marathon training. I was enjoying the beautiful high country with my family and was encouraged to take a morning run with the brother-in-law. Mind you the brother-in-law has completed numerous marathons and is getting ready to run another marathon in a month. So I agreed to run the two miles, uphill a good portion of the way mind you, with him. That morning before we left my brother-in-law was explaining his course for a fourteen mile run. He explained to me the two mile run in the neighborhood followed by a 5 mile run on the highway, and then he turns around and completes the last seven miles. So I asked my father-in-law, who is the Gatorade provider for my brother-in-law at the seven mile mark, if he would be willing to drive me back to the cabin "if by some odd reason I am able to finish the seven miles." Of course he said yes.

The running began in the neighborhood, and the hills "weren't so bad" I remember saying to the brother-in-law. So I said to myself "let's just see how far this old lady can run." Once we hit the highway I told my brother-in-law to run ahead (there was no way I would be able to finish the last five miles at his pace). I wasn't prepared to run such a long distance so I did not have my I-pod. I kept thinking to myself, as I am running at the altitude of approximately 8,000 feet, "I need to focus my mind on something other than my breathing." Fortunately God put verses in my mind. As I ran the last five miles, which had a few "hills" according to my brother-in-law (some felt more like mountains!), I was able to focus my mind on verses. For those of you that have ever memorized scripture it is so amazing how God can use those verses you have memorized to be an encouragement to you. Needless to say I finished the seven miles and had a nice ride back to the cabin. Hopefully I can continue to train and conquer this half marathon. I know I can because I have wonderful friends who will be there supporting me.
Teri

5 comments:

Julie said...

Wow Teri! You guys are all amazing athletes, and so cute too. I love reading about all the progress you are making. Keep it up!!!

Anonymous said...

Way to go Teri! That is awesome perserverance and I'm inspired by your strong will (with a little help from above!). Good job!

Anonymous said...

You are my hero! So glad we are all running together and that you finally blogged! =) Welcome to the blogging world my running friend...

Simonsen said...

wow...blogging queen

Greg On the Run said...

Love it when the Lord reminds me of his presence.

You keep on striving for it. You'll get the start line healthy and the finish line strong.