September 11, 2007

wow

So I'm finally feeling like I may be able to pull this 1/2 marathon thingy off! My cold lingered a little, but I did push through it and continue my training, which was a first for me. Yesterday I completed 5 miles and felt surprisingly refreshed afterwards. (Tired, but refreshed - does that make any sense?) I'm still running at a slow pace for the long runs which is hard because I do get bored, however, if I speed up I get tired and then struggle to finish. For now, I'm happy that my legs feel stronger and are getting used to the pounding for longer periods of time. According to our training schedule, we have about 2 more weeks to get comfortable with 5 miles and then we start to add mileage. I'm going to also look for some speed workouts (to relieve the boredom), as well. Happy running girls!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kim, Tired, but refreshed makes total sense. As your mileage increases, you'll increase stamina and actually have even more energy and feel more refreshed. It's a wonderful cycle.

You'll be ready for the step up beyond 5 miles. Be careful about adding speed work at the same time you're increasing mileage--can lead to injury.

You have a great site, and it must be fun posting together and encouraging each other.

Keep up the great work!